Report of the Meeting of the African Proverbs Working Group, Nairobi, Kenya, 18 April 2009
Hekima College, Nairobi, Kenya
1. Deacon Chijioke Azuawusiefe, S.J. — Hekima College
2. Allan Babunga – Maurice Otunga High School
3. Sister Maria Decarli, D.S.P. – Audio-Visuals, Paulines Publications Africa
4. Itua Egbor, S.J. — Hekima College
5. Rev. Joseph Healey, M.M. – Moderator, African Proverbs, Sayings and Stories Website
6. Bboloka Bubala Nchimunya, S,J. — Hekima College
7. Mathew Bomki, S.J. — Hekima College
8. Francis Njuguna — Freelance Journalist
9. Martin Oko, S.J. — Hekima College
10. Okiya Omtatah Okoiti – Media Commentator
11. Rev. Jocelyn Rabeson, S.J. – Librarian, Hekima College
12. Rev. Donald Sybertz, M.M. – Shinyanga, Tanzania
13. Dr. Gerald Wanjohi — Publisher, Wajibu
Absent with apologies
1. Evans Nyakundi (Acting Secretary) — Assistant Librarian at Hekima College
2. Sim Kilosho Kabale – Kenyatta University
3. Rev. Thomas Komakech, A.J. — Apostles of Jesus General Council
4. John Siyumbu — Kenyatta University
The meeting started at 10:15 a.m. and ended at 2:30 p.m. Lunch was generously provided by the Jesuit Community. Participants came and went freely.
1. Each member described his or her research on proverbs and stories from various African languages. Some new books, booklets, plays and lists of proverbs were displayed.
2. Plans for the “African Proverb of the Month” from May to September, 2009 were discussed and finalized.
3. Allan Babunga was awarded a grant of $500 to compile a Booklet of 100 Bembe Proverbs (Democratic Republic of the Congo — DRC). 10 copies (photocopied) will be distributed in the normal way. It will include the biblical parallels.
4. We discussed how to improve, and make more use of, the African Proverbs, Sayings and Stories Website (http://www.afriprov.org) including the POLL on “African Proverbs on African Animals.”
5. We discussed how to get more women involved in our African Proverbs Project.
The next meeting will be at the Maryknoll Society House, Manyani Road West near Lavington on a Saturday on a date to be decided later.